Listed are the services and events that are scheduled in the LCMS Ohio District in celebration of the 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation:
As part of the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, Concordia Theological Seminary (CTSFW), 6600 N. Clinton Street, Fort Wayne, IN will host a free screening of Martin Luther: The Idea that Changed the World. The film will be shown on Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 4:00 PM in Sihler Auditorium on the CTSFW campus. Seating is limited, so free tickets must be reserved at CTSFW.NewLutherMovie.com. A preview of the movie is also available at this site. For those without Internet access, tickets may be reserved by calling 260.452.2204. This is the first time in more than 60 years that Lutherans have made a feature-length film about Martin Luther and the Reformation. Filmed in historic locations across Europe, this movie brings Luther’s story to life with exquisite attention to detail. It’s a chance to strengthen your faith by revisiting the birth of Protestant Reformation and to share that experience with others.The Rev. Dr. Benjamin Mayes, assistant professor of Historical Theology at CTSFW, will introduce the film and there will be a panel of professors to answer questions after the screening.
Commemorating the 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation, St. Paul Lutheran Church, 5433 Madison Road, Cincinnati, Ohio presents "The Chorale, J.S. Bach's Inspiration," Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM. This year's Bach-fest features a hymn sing of Martin Luther's chorales, and includes musical interludes by Bach and other Baroque composers. Mr. Michael Hollman, organist at Zion Lutheran Church in Fort Wayne, Indiana will perform on St. Paul's Baroque-style pipe organ. The tracker action organ was installed by the W. Zimmer Company in January, 1972. The event is open to the public. Reception following. For more information, contact the church office at: 513.271.4147.
- Lecture by seminary president Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr. on Sunday, April 30, 2017 entitled, "The Reformation After the Reformation: Interpreting Martin Luther after February 18, 1546". There is no charge for this lecture that takes place from 4:00–5:00 PM in Luther Hall. If you cannot be with us on campus, you can watch live on the CTSFW Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ctsfw. For additional information, e-mail: or phone 260.452.2204.
- The choral choir from Concordia College in New York will be bringing their 500th Anniversary of the Reformation Hymn Festival to Trinity Lutheran Church in Cleveland, Ohio on Tuesday, May 23, 2017. Mark your calendar for this amazing concert that will feature a program of hymn inspired music.
- Church Name - Event Details
- Lutheran Community Festival on August 12-13, 2017. Lutheran churches will hold local community festivals at their locations on the same weekend. Details coming soon.
- Reformation Renaissance Faire – Coming to Central Ohio
In celebration of the 500th anniversary of the posting of the 95 theses by Martin Luther and the beginning of modern-day Protestant churches, St. John's Lutheran Church in Marysville, Ohio will host a series of events, culminating in a Reformation Renaissance Festival. The event will be held in Union County, Ohio on three consecutive weekends September 23rd through October 8th, 2017. RRF Info
- Lutheran Octoberfest on September 8-10, 2017. Outdoor festival located on Metropark property near Memphis Kiddie Park in Brooklyn, Ohio. Beer tents, live bands, fireworks and a "polka church service". More information forthcoming.
- Hope Lutheran Church in Akron, Ohio is presenting an exclusive, one-night only viewing of "Martin Luther – The Idea that Changed the World" on Thursday, October 12, 2017 from 6:30 to 8:30 PM in North Canton. After the film, join Pastor Jack Kozak for a Q&A about the film and Reformation. For more information and to get tickets, CLICK HERE
- Everyone is invited to the 500th Anniversary Celebration of the Reformation to be held at Grace Lutheran Church (LCMS SELC District), 13030 Madison Avenue in Lakewood, Ohio on Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 4:00 PM. LCMS Active and Emeritus clergy are invited to vest. Our guest preacher for this historic celebration will be The Rev. Dr. James I. Lamb, Emeritus Executive Director of Lutherans for Life. A catered buffet dinner will follow the service. Children's and Adult Choirs from the SELC Central Circuit congregations, the Lutheran Wind Ensemble, The Bells of Grace and other musical groups will be participating in the service. For more information go to: www.gracelutheranlakewood.org or contact the church office at: 216-221-4959.
- Lutheran Reformation Service to be scheduled for late October 2017 in Downtown Cleveland. Date and time TBD.
- Central Ohio Circuits will host an area-wide Reformation worship service on Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM at St. John Lutheran Church in Dublin, Ohio. More details forthcoming.